HISTORY

History of Pinelands Catholic Church

When the Garden City of Pinelands was launched, from the Church’s point of view it was a ‘no man’s land”. The few Catholics in Pinelands were considered to be in the parish of Maitland. 

As the area developed and numbers increased, it was attached to Mowbray.  In 1946, Pinelands became an independent parish, but the foundation stone was only laid in 1949. Until this time Holy Mass was celebrated in the Pinelands Civic Hall and baptisms, marriages and funerals took place in St Patrick’s. Mowbray.

 

Priest’s who have served the Community of Christ the King

 

  • Fr Luke O’Reilly                                     1929
  • Mgr J    O’Rourke
  • Fr E. Graham (Mowbray)                        1936
  • Fr Owen McCann
  • Fr E. (Ned) Kieran                                  1944 – 1953
  • Fr Frank McManus                                 1946
  • Fr Michael Hulgraine                              1950
  • Fr Brian Power                                       1954 – 1960
  • Fr Anthony Seba                                    1960 – 1988
  • Father P Thornton                                  1988 - 1995
  • Fr R Murphy                                          1995 – 1996
  • Fr R Hall                                               1996 – 1997
  • Fr J. Bezuidenhout                                 1997 – 1998
  • Mgr C Stokes                                        1997 – 1999
  • Fr K Lambert                                         1998 - 2000
  • Fr T Gorman                                          1999
  • Fr M Daly SDB 
  • Fr Keith Brehob SJ
  • Fr Douglas Wiseman                              2000 - 2014
  • Msgr Andrw Borello                                 2014 - 

Several Vocations from this Parish:          

Father Kees Thonissen Capuchin            Ordained in 1987
Father Thomas Plastow SJ                      Ordained in 1999
Father Zane Godwin                               Ordained in 2000

 

First Deacon ordained to Permanent Diaconate – Desmond Lai Lan 2008
Mother Theresa Missionary of Charity Sister
Sister Charbel Marie MS – the daughter of John and Pauline Kane of the Parish

 

The triptych of the Last Supper painted on the front of the Choir Loft was painted by Catherine Davey in 1999


Quarterly Parish Newsletter
 - Click

 

Where to find us!

UNION AVE, PINELANDS,

P.O. BOX 659 HOWARD PLACE 7450